Monday, July 14, 2014

Ticket Out the Door, Week 5

Wow! Lots that I learned today, namely, since my group presented our ELA midterms, I learned how much it takes to put together a good lesson plan. And even when you put together a detailed lesson plan, sometimes things can get messed up last minute, like how Twitter decided not to work for the other subgroup's activity. That situation made me realize that it is always important to have a plan B, just in case plan A does not work out. I also realized that it's important for me not to get too attached to my lesson plan, that everything should go the way I think it should go, because then there is no room for flexibility or open discussion. If I have my own agenda for how things should go, this leaves no space for students to feel that they are also being heard, and that their thoughts and contributions matter.

Not only does flexibility matter, but also being fully prepared in terms of creating lesson plans that address at least one of the common core standards, and to show in writing how each activity contributes towards the students' progress with the common core. For me as and educator as well, it's good to see what the activities I am facilitating are doing for students in a qualitative way. It is also interesting and exciting to start including new media into lesson plans, whether that be Facebook, Socrative, Twitter, Padlet, etc...I feel that it is a great way to get students involved in the class, and for students' voices to be heard, especially the quieter students who often do not speak up during a class discussion. Having anonymous postings on a screen is a great way for everyone to open up and be more authentic without fearing judgment from peers. I'm looking forward to learning more about how to create lesson plans as well as new media, activities, and ways to facilitate learning in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment